The name doesn’t inspire, I know, but try these bars and you’ll keep on making them. At the farmers markets back when we started our business. We sold gluten free granola, chocolate biscuit cakes, energy bites and these prune bars. I used to make these at 5am the morning of the market. As they cooled I would have one for breakfast and can honestly say I didn’t think about food until 2 or 3pm later in the day. They slowly release energy from the oats and nuts. The bars were really popular with customers and lots of parents bought them for their kids. They are great for healthy lunchboxes and just ideal for anyone travelling.
225g oats (of which 50g are milled in the food processor)
25g desiccated coconut
32g pumpkin seeds
46g sunflower seeds
76g mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, almonds)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon treacle
- Soak prunes in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, drain and place in the food processor.
- Add honey, treacle, vanilla and cinnamon to the food processor to form a thick paste.
- Add oats (pulse 50g of the 225g in the food processor 8-10 times), stir in milled oats, coconut, pumpkin seeds, nuts and sunflower seeds.
- With damp hands press down into a tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Transfer into the fridge/freezer for 30 minutes.
- Cut 10-12 bars.