People with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance often complain that there is a lack of gluten free options for desserts in restaurants and that usually they are offered fruit or meringues or maybe ice cream. That said, don’t let this put you off from trying this recipe as I guarantee once you try this it will become a regular dish. The apple juice gently poaches the pears to make them as light as a feather, and the granola adds that little welcome crunch. It needs either cream, ice cream or yogurt served with it. Enjoy it for a light breakfast or as a dessert.
2 large pears
2 tsp coconut sugar
60g Maria Lucia Bakes Cashew, Almond & Cinnamon granola
60ml apple juice
Greek yoghurt to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel pears, cut in half lengthwise. And remove core and seeds, creating a hollow.
- Place pear halves with sides up in a pie plate. Mould granola into pear hollows and sprinkle coconut sugar evenly over pears.
- Pour the apple juice in and around the pear halves. Cover dish loosely with tin foil.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until tender. Let stand in the dish 5 minutes. Use a large spoon to transfer the pears to serving plates.
- Drizzle juices from the pie plate over pears and serve with Greek yogurt.